Friday 1 July 2011

And she's OFF...

I'm currently typing this entry from the lounge at Terminal 5.  I am right where I should be living it up in the lap of luxury munching on kettle crisps and drinking a glass of cold Chablis.  The departure lounge for club and first class passengers is cool, there is a cinema, a plethora of drinks, a bar with a barman and more importantly everything is FREE.  I need to make sure I am not buzzing even before I get on the plane as that would not be good during a 13 hour flight!

I have to keep reminding myself this is not a holiday as I am slipping into that mindset.  If you could see me now in my tatty converse trainers, flowered carry on holdall, mismatched top and and trousers I look as far away from a business traveller as you could possibly get. You can take the girl out of economy but not economy out of the girl. The only negative points about the club lounge is that the magazines are rubbish where is vogue,hello etc that you get in the Eurostar business lounge?! Who wants to read business magazines? I fear I may have to excuse myself from this lounge and go and join "le grand public" and actually buy my own magazines - quelle horreur.  Also what's up with bringing kids into these lounges.  Apparently they are only allowed in the business class lounges not the FIRST class ones.  You know what's coming - I need to travel first class next time!

There is the ELEMIS day spa here in the lounge but since I am travelling round the world in business class I fear it not worth taking all the benefits at once. Therefore if there is a spa in Sydney I will try it there or even Singapore.

My bags got searched because of a battenburg cake. WYC and I had lunch today with my gorgeous goddaughter and her baby brother. She gave me a M&S cake to take to HK for her relatives. Except the cake nearly didn't make it. I was gliding through security when suddenly my bag was pulled aside. "No" was all I thought:
"Miss please open your bag." 
"Ok"
"Tracy (the security guard screams at the top of his voice so EVERYONE turns to stare at me) it was only a BATTENBURG CAKE FROM M&S"
I felt MORTIFIED. 
The security guard turns to me and says "It looked like a bottle of liquid on the scanner."
That's all right then I say. The only reason I put the cake in my bag was so it wouldn't get squashed and what do I end up with the public humilation!!

Right I am off to go and buy a real magazine and the next post will be from Hong Konggggggggg!

No comments:

Post a Comment