Wednesday 24 August 2011

DOWNTOWN SHANGHAI - FRIDAY 8 JULY

I worked the morning and for lunch decided to take a taxi to downtown Shanghai. Foolish really in hindsight but I was under the impression that Shanghai having just hosted the world expo was used to multiculturism. No.  I walked around a temple and that was ok:



After my temple visit I took myself off to go to the harbour and see that.  I thought it would be good. Take in the polluted air of the harbour.  Well I did that. Whilst I was there a woman ran up next to me and when I looked up in startled disbelief her man took a photo of to the two of us and then she ran off. I felt like I had been tangoed. I had had enough. I couldn't take the pointing, staring, name calling. I thought I should just flag down a taxi cab and go to Macdonalds. Hmmm well after 11 taxi cabs refused to stop for me but stopped straight after for a Chinese person I couldn't help but feel discriminated against. Then I spied a cab with people getting out of it. I ran and jumped inside the cab with such force that the cab bounced up and down. I shouted and pointed at my card with Holiday Inn Pudong written in Chinese characters and the man drove me there.
I contented myself with my big mac later that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment