Sunday 26 June 2011

There are cultural difference and then just plain MEANNESS = RADIN!

So last Thursday big boss man was finally in the office.  I explained to him that I read up on business etiquette in China and they exchange gifts.  "Oh" he says.  "Therefore we should give them some gifts from France" I tell him. Without missing a beat he says "take some of the company pens and key chains".  I stared at him disbelief.  This man wants me to take key chains....let me explain.  Those are the things that hang round your neck with the electronic pass attached to it (lanyard).  They are in all likelihood made in CHINA.  I am not taking them.  It is sooooooo CHEAP.  I am off to Galerie Lafayette with the company expenses card I was given for this trip tomorrow to buy some proper gifts so that I won't feel ashamed!

Donc le grand chef a ete au retour jeudi denier...enfin! Je lui ai explique qu'en Chine c'est normale d'echanger les cadeaux.  Il m'a regarde et sans sourire ou blague m'a dit "emmenez les stylos et porte de cle de l'enterprise". J'ai attendu qu'il va me dire que c'etait une blague mais non...les porte-cles qui etaient surement fabrique dans une usine en CHINE. Non mais...demain j'y vais au Galerie Lafayette pour acheter des VRAI cadeaux!

Aside from this I think I am ready.  I have my malaria tablets and tissues
and insect spray.  What more does a girl need - answers on a postcard...

No comments:

Post a Comment